11.11.2009

How Writing Works on NanoWriMo

Word Count: 7611.

Forcing my hand to the keyboard seems to be working. The deadline and need to follow through on the Nano commitment are making me write every day, and in those sessions I'm not judging and second guessing everything I think of to write. I'm just starting to type, no matter what.

The pattern of my work quality in this setting seems to be:

OK beginning
Boring repetitive crap for a while
Better stuff
One or two really hot cracking pages. Really, really good stuff.

Then I stop.

I'm aware when reading and seeing this pattern that I want it all to be like the last bit...to pop off the page. A good novel should be like a blow to the head, someone said. I've clearly had too many blows to the head to remember who.

But I guess I've not had TOO many to see that trying to put everything down as good as how good it will eventually be has been slowing dreadfully my progress. A project like Nano has come along to show me that, and I intend to keep that lesson tatooed on my brain even after this month ends.

Because just as heartbreaking as writing a crap novel would be, never finishing would be even worse.

2 comments:

strugglingwriter said...

Good job with the progress. Just be happy with the good stuff. You won't have to edit that later :)

The rest you can make all shiny another month. :)

Remya said...

the "blow" lines wer really funny...:D
i agree..never finishing a novel is worse..my failed attempts include 4 novels and three short stroies.."its the starting" dey say...degrading enuf..
had fun reading ur blog
all the best :)