9.04.2007

writing: life or death?

A writer friend and I were recently talking about the need to write, to have your own work active and going strong, to have a regular appointment with your desk.

I commented that working on the novel really makes me feel like I "have a life", separate from the demands of parenting and work.

She replied that when those demands and distractions become most urgent is when having a "writing life" is most important, to give you perspective, and a sense of meaning beyond putting out daily fires. She said that a teacher of hers always said, "Writing is life or death."

This week I begin my new fall schedule, and a session of writing each week is on it. I will attend, and if work overtakes those hours occasionally, it won't be death, but most usually, when I get to writing, it will be a little extra life.

2 comments:

caveblogem said...

I know what you mean, KF. I've decided to do National Novel Writing Month again this November. That decision made me feel more alive immediately. It's like it gave me the ability to organize my existence.

Kinda pathetic, if you think about it. So I'm going to stop thinking about it.

strugglingwriter said...

Good job with setting a writing schedule for yourself. I need to do this as well.

Also, I like the new background color of the blog.