6.20.2007

and now for something c.d.:music

Friend blogwriter strugglingwriter challenged the world to name 5 songs you're proud you listen to (on ipod or elsewhere) and 5 songs you're not so proud of, but still rock OUT on.

'Kay. Here goes.

The Fames:

1. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (entire album) (Lauryn Hill)
This. Album. Is. Fierce. Love it.

2. Oye Como Va (Santana)
A classic that retains its explosive charm.

3. More and then some (Nina Simone)
A song with special meaning for me, and the power of her voice is almost uncontrolled. You get the sense that it could go five times louder, stronger, if she would let it.

4. Jerusalem (Matisyahu)
Matisyahu is so great. Lyrically thoughtful, playful, diverse, yet (gasp) righteous. It gives me hope for the tadpoles that he's so popular with them.

5. American Girl (Tom Petty)
I was a fan of this excellent song way before the utterly brilliant use of it in Silence of the Lambs, (one of the best song placements in film, to be sure--can you name any others?) but that use cemented my appreciation for it. I love Tom Petty for his encapsulation of the desire to take part in the so-called American dream, even if you are a short skinny guy with stringy hair and a whine for a voice, and this is one of his best, though not his only best by a long shot.

The Shames

1. Moneymaker (Ludacris)
Sexist, while making a lazy attempt not to be.

2. Be Without You (Mary J. Blige)
Schlocky and so overdone that it might as well be a stage show, but it's good for the floor exercise portion of my workout.

3. This is How We Do It (Montell Jordan)
Whenever I heard this song on the radio I would blast it, because it's so snapping, so when I got iTunes I immediately found it. It's a bit cheesy, but between cheesy and thuglife sexist I'm so great hip hop, I'll take the 6'8 Montell.

4. Hot in Here (Mc Platnum)
Sexist, while making no attempt not to be.

5. Gold Digger (Kanye West and Jamie Foxx)
This is an interesting song, which has appeal for both the sexist and non sexist listener. On its face, it is a humorous jab at all the money grubbing ladies of the hip-hop set (if there are any--I'm out of that loop) but upon further inspection, ie the second half of the song, it is the men who are being capped on, as we used to say at MLK elementary. With the addition of Jamie Foxx's uncanny Ray Charles impression, the song is a gem, even if it is in the rough.

Now you know all my dirty little iPod secrets. I tag maryjunebrown to do this little task on her excellent blog of the same name, at maryjunebrown.wordpress.com.

1 comment:

strugglingwriter said...

Good list. You had me singing Montell Jordan as soon as I saw that.

Oye Como Va - This one will always be stuck in my head because it is featured in the Nintendo Gamecube game Donkey Konga.