4.09.2007

one terrific radiant humble

(thingama, jingama pig!)

When you look for great writing you see it everywhere. In books, in films, on TV, but mostly we notice when it's NOT there, when we can't stand to read further, to watch more.

Lately, I've been amazed at the inventive and sharp writing from my kids' bookshelf: the original Winnie the Pooh, Charlotte's Web the book and the film ("fine swine, wish he were mine, so what if he's not so big?"), a wonderful book called "May I Bring a Friend?" by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers, the unparalelled Seuss, "The Story of Ferdinand" by Munro Leaf, "Make Way for Ducklings" and other books by Robert McCloskey.

Such a pleasure to share these with the littlies, and to experience an added level of writer's appreciation while doing so. Other nominees are welcome.

Another layer of spooky: In his post of late, anxious m-f (http://anxiousmofo.wordpress.com/) says he's reading the books of the main inspiration for my cousin's novel, mentioned in the spooky post of last.

2 comments:

strugglingwriter said...

I look forward to those days. Right we're dealing with pictures and few words (my daughter turns the page before I can read all of it anyway).

We have Winnie the Pooh in the waiting, though.

Nice post!

MKeckler said...

Great Blog. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables is a favorite!