1.26.2007

novelution: fighting for it

The first riffs of panic are reverbing inside me.

With the onslaught of a new semester, time to write the novel is slipping away. My schedule is still forming, and as it does I'm fighting for a time I can set aside to write.

No suprise: time to write must be built in to my schedule, a permanent block that I attend without question or fail. Any writer will tell you that otherwise, it doesn't get done. On-the-fly doesn't cut it.

I'm still having flashes, making notes, writing dialog in my little b.b. It doesn't feel delicate, elusive. But if I don't get back to it, I'm afraid I'll lose my fluency in the language of the idea.

So I'm pushing, massaging, bullying my time until it says Uncle, says Uncle.

2 comments:

mary said...

I get it. I feel the same a lot of the time, but I won't let you stop. Must-keep-going. I have so much faith in your book already, I will keep pushing you. 'Til Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, know that you will.