1.02.2007

the high dive

During the warm months, I swim laps at a local pool. To take my mind off the pain while doing so last summer, I started batting around an idea for a novel. The idea was exciting. Each time I swam, I put my mind to the idea, like dialing in to a staticy radio station that occasionally plays great songs. Damp and chlorinated, I made notes in the changing room or sitting in the empty parking lot. The notes became pages of bullet points and arrows, smudged and dappled with drips.

Today, I began it in earnest.

Terrifying and thrilling, the start of a novel is the high dive for writers--I feel the chilly breeze of anticipation as I grip the cold rungs of the ladder leading upward, knowing that at the top, only my balance and will can bring me into the air.

4 comments:

kugar88821 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mary said...

A powerful analogy...gorgeous. Thank you for putting to words what it is for a writer to take on a novel. It is the seconds that seem to go on and on, standing on that precipice...before the jump.
Consider yourself blogrolled.

Bil Brown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Anonymous said...

Screaming the night away
With his great wing feathers
Swooping the darkness up;
I hear the eagle bird
Pulling the blanket back
Off from the eastern sky.
(Iroquois song)